Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Letter to the Stoner Family Business Group

My actual letter to Tiffany (and Eric) after tonight's horrendous waste of my time. Yes, I used lots of SHOUTY CAPITAL LETTERS. And please, friends, always always always be wary of vague business opportunities that use buzzwords like "quickly developing business" or "unique opportunity." Oh! And if anyone ever offers you a job that has "free leadership training trips including cruises" for the love of God turn them down. Anyway, without further ado, my probably-unnecessary-and-a-tiny-bit-over-the-top letter that really does make me feel better. Enjoy.


Dear Tiffany and Eric,

I am emailing you to tell you that I want NO part in this and quite frankly I am furious with you both for lying to me and pretending this opportunity was something more than it is. You said, and I quote:
     "My marketing company has several different projects we are working on currently."
First of all, THIS IS NOT MARKETING. I am a professional with a bachelor's degree and if you think THIS is marketing you could.not.be.more.wrong. It is at best a scheme for you to make money by suckering in young people like myself into what seems like a worthwhile opportunity. The fact that you said:
     "It is hard for my husband and I to find trust worthy people to work with."
is an absolute joke! You are not trustworthy people. You are liars who led me to believe you had a marketing opportunity that would challenge me with "several different projects" and allow me to develop my skills. You know full well that is NOT what this is. Call it a lie of omission if you want. Call it twisted words or my perception of your overly vague statements. Call it whatever you so choose but just know that you wasted an hour of my time on a night that I could have been doing REAL work on a website of my own for a part time client I help or working on my personal blog or researching other jobs or God forbid, just relaxing! Instead I came home from work, at my real job, changed clothes and quickly rushed through dinner to go back out into the pouring rain and waste my gas and time to come to this joke of a meeting.

You took my one free weeknight away from me, put me in a room full of people who were either suckered into this or else don't have any real skills of their own to use to pursue a career and had me sit through a presentation trying to SELL me on this absolute joke of an opportunity. This was a sales pitch - simple as that. You told me (Eric that is) that I would be meeting "some associates" and that they would be "going over all of the projects that we are working on at this session." CLEARLY that was not the case. It was a sales pitch, plain and simple. Quite frankly, I'm am furious with you for deceiving me like this.

Yes, perhaps some people really can profit from "getting paid to shop for products they're already going to buy" and "build a team and have their income increase while their time working decreases." However, you're lucky the guy presenting was funny and seemed nice because if it weren't for him I would have absolutely gotten up and walked out. I refuse to be the annoying person who is pestering my friends and family to use this site and buy these products. I refuse to plaster this crap all over my social networks. And most importantly I refuse to associate myself with this kind of a business. The kind that remains incredibly vague, answers few questions, and ropes you into something before telling you what it really is at the last minute. Don't think I haven't seen this before. I've seen it with so-called "consulting companies" or "marketing firms" that end up selling Cut Co knives or AT&T U-Verse by cold calling and going door to door. I will not fall for your scheme. And I will absolutely be warning all my friends, especially those about to graduate and have tons of student loan debt like I do, to NOT WASTE THEIR TIME with this kind of deception and avoid “business” like yours at all costs. And yes, I use “business” in quotes because I don’t think you deserve to be called a business.

Finally, do not, I repeat DO NOT try to convince me that I have the wrong idea or that this isn't how it really works or that I would enjoy it. Don't try to convince me that you were simply offering me an opportunity, because you did not fully explain it and made it out to be something it wasn't. And do not try to defend your "business" or LDT or anything that has anything to do with these companies. I will just have to go on with my life like the rest of America and not get "paid to shop." It works out since I don't wear makeup, drink energy drinks, eat meal bars or protein shakes, or use basically any of your "exclusive products" anyway. 


--------------------

So, just to clarify for those of you who read all of this, I do not think that Amway, AT&T or even people working for them are part of a "scam" or fraudulent business scheme. I think the people who tried to convince me that this was something else are guilty of dishonesty and deceit. If you want to follow the story, there's more. Many of my friends have since come to me and told me they got the exact same message from the exact same woman. Here's my friend Jesse's story and response!


No comments:

Post a Comment