Thursday, October 3, 2013

What Working at CTS Taught Me About Travel



Isn't traveling only for people with lots of money and vacation time?

In October of 2012 I was hired as the new Tour Operations Manager at Chicagoland Transportation Solutions. In the process of creating group tour itineraries for great places in and around Chicago and developing resources to plan great group trips, I learned quite a lot. So now, one year later, as I prepare to leave and move on to some new experiences of my own, I’d like to share some of what I’ve learned. I hope this will inspire you to plan your next trip with friends, family or any group you can get together to go a town, state or country away. (Image above is me with the Chicago Tour-Guide Professionals Association.)

Why Travel is Important

One of my favorite quotes says “leaving and coming back is not the same as never having left.” Traveling is one of the most powerful experiences a person can have. Ask anyone who has every studied abroad, traveled to a new country where they didn’t speak the language, or even just saw their hometown through the eyes of a tour guide or a new visitor. They will all tell you that travel changes you. It gives you a new perspective of the world around you and opens you up to see and experience things in ways you never would have before. Travel takes you out of your comfort zone and challenges you to explore something new.

Transportation Doesn't Have to be a Luxury

When most people think of riding in a limousine they think of a very special occasion such as a bachelorette party or someone famous arriving at their show. However, transportation services do not have to be reserved for just these times. By booking transportation, be it a limousine or even just a sedan, you can make your day or night out much more enjoyable. Imagine you’re going out for a night with your friends and will be drinking and coming back late. By booking transportation you can avoid having to sit in traffic on your way there and instead you can enjoy the time with your friends. Plus, when you arrive at the restaurant or bar, you don’t have to find a place to park or pay for parking. Your driver can simply drop you off right at the door. This is especially great if it’s snowing or pouring rain. Plus, you can drink and enjoy the night with your friends without having to figure out who will be the designated driver. The same can be said for something like getting your family to the airport before a vacation. If you’re going to splurge on a vacation then you may as well make every part of it great. As for a night out with friends, if your friends can all enjoy themselves without having to worry about all these factors, they’ll likely be willing to chip in twenty bucks to cover the cost.

Why Groups are Great

Sure traveling with a group means cheaper rates and admissions, special entrances and skipping lines. However, there are many more benefits to traveling with groups that may not be top of mind. For instance, when you travel with a group of people you already know you strengthen your relationships with them and add value to your time together. By having a shared experience like this you get to know people outside of their normal setting and have something to bond over later. Plus, traveling with people gives you the added comfort of being safe and not having to go anywhere new alone. There are lots of great reasons to travel with a group.

What I Should Worry About While Traveling

I’ve always enjoyed traveling both near and far. However, I must admit I did used to worry about things like getting lost or sick. Though after a lot of research about traveling and tips to make travel run smoothly, I found out things I really should worry about while traveling. I now worry about making an effort to try new things, be in the moment, and get the perfect photo and then move on and enjoy the experience.

Chicago is Full of Surprises

Even if you've lived in the Windy City your whole life, I bet there are still hidden pieces you don't know about. You may have heard the phrase “be a tourist in your own town.” This saying is really great advice. Think about how many times you’ve had a friend from out of town visit and ask to go somewhere like Navy Pier or Millennium Park. There’s a good chance they said “you’re so lucky you live here because you can go here all the time.” And there’s an equally good chance you responded with something like “I live here and I barely ever go here.” Being a tourist in your own town allows you to open yourself up to enjoy touristy things that you probably usually avoid. Hey, they’re popular for a reason right? Plus, going on more specific tours of specific neighborhoods or even specific attractions can really show you something you never even knew was there. I recently toured the Pullman district and learned so much that I never knew about that tiny area a little bit south. I’ve toured famous homes, museums, factories and more and been mesmerized by each and every one of them! Sometimes just learning about the history and architecture of some of those buildings you walk by every day can be enlightening.

How I Barely Scratched the Surface

Finally, I’d like to point out that after a whole year of researching all the hidden gems and great places to go in the Chicagoland area, I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. There are so many more great places out there that have been added to my bucket list that I didn’t even know existed. I've traveled from Los Angeles, California to Krakow, Poland and many places in between and there are still so many places I want to see in Chicago and beyond. This time however, I'm not going far and most weekends you'll be able to find me in Chicago checking out little-known museums, sampling food at new restaurants and enjoying all the fun the Windy City has to offer.

See more of my blogs about travel and tourism at http://chicagotransportsolutions.com/blog-0/

No comments:

Post a Comment